Thursday, October 14, 2010

While you were away

Brian is currently on his way to the far east for a business trip. He has never been out of the country before (I've been to Tijuana so I'm...uh...much more world traveled.) When he is home I usually talk to him several times a day and tell him how things are going. Then when the kids are in bed I tell him all the rest of the things that happened that day. He always listens so nicely even he if doesn't care about all of my topics.

For the next while I won't be able to talk to him like usual. I thought I'd put a condensed version into blog posts so he can see them when he has a minute. (My plan was to add pictures but we can't find Caroline's camera... Brian have you seen it?) Brian will be nice and read this, my few other readers don't have to pretend to care about the daily details of our family.

Dear Brian,
We went to the park this morning. The younger Hiapo girls were there and our kids had a great time playing with them. They spent over an hour trying to figure out how to tie ropes into a harness so they could repel down the rock wall. All of the attempts failed and they finally decided it would be easier to just climb down. Another winter of rope fun is upon us. Santa could bring new thicker rope and all would be well with the world.

After lunch we ran a few errands. We went to the halloween store to get a hogwarts robe. They had a large area set up to demonstrate all the animated decorations you could buy. There were pads on the ground to step on and make them go. The kids spent several minutes purposefully stepping on the pad and then being genuinely surprised when something would pop up. I even started saying, 'when you step on that something is going to move or start talking.' Caroline still screamed and jumped every time. The kids decided you and I should be Bert and Ernie for halloween.

We found the perfect hogwarts tie at Goodwill, then headed to JoAnns for sweater-vest fabric. In one of the fabric aisles there was a large stain that looked like someone had spilled a soda the day (or week) before. The good people at JoAnns didn't bother to clean it up but they did provide the courtesy of a 'wet floor' sign nearby. As we rounded the corner to the next aisle I noticed Natalie was no longer with us at about the same time I heard her screams. I went back to find her feet glued in the sticky spill. She could not move at all. I had to pull hard to get her out. Caroline and Miles spent the rest of the time in the store laughing while Natalie fretted about how her favorite flip flops were 'ruined.'

The door bell rang a few times today, Natalie thought you were home each time.

A package was delivered today. Miles told me the ups truck was here. It took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure out that the ups truck (as he said it - like the plural form of up)(is there a plural for up?) was really the UPS truck. Of Course.

I made zucchini cakes with mushroom ragout for dinner. I've wanted to try this recipe for a long time but haven't because I figured you wouldn't like it. Turns out I don't like it either.

The kids went to bed without much trouble. The doors are locked, I double checked just for you. Enjoy Hong Kong. We love you.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

You should do this everyday. I loved it.