Friday, October 15, 2010

While you were away - Friday

Brian,
Things went well today, the last official day of fall break. The kids will be glad to get back to school on Monday. I'll be alright with it too.

I woke up this morning to more Miles periphinalia. He has taken his 'man of the house' role very seriously. He slept in his own bed like I asked him to, but he has moved more and more of his stuff into your spot. There are a couple of pillows, six or seven bionicles, several lego creations, a few action figures, and some books either on or surrounding your side of the bed.

Before breakfast we moved the 'dad' post-it note on our map from the middle of the ocean to Hong Kong. I told the kids you were probably getting ready for bed. Miles said, "oh, I get it... because the world is folded in half." (?) I tried to start explaining the concept of time zones and the sun circling the earth but he was so sure of his reasoning he wasn't listening.

We spent the bulk of the morning at the park again. Sarah was there so that made it extra special. She held Bridget for the first time and seemed to really enjoy herself. The kids used their ropes to try and make a zip-line from the top of the slide down to the bottom of the steps. They are long on grand ideas, just a bit short on implantation plans and, you know, reality.

After lunch Caroline and Miles went to play at the A's. They had a great time there... Miles got to play their wii which made his day. I brought Lori a cookbook, I hope she likes it.

Natalie, Bridget and I ran a few errands. They have the Christmas toys out at Sam's Club. Natalie wants one of everything for her birthday. When we pulled into Lowes, Natalie groaned and told me she 'hates this store.' When she saw all the halloween and Christmas blow-up yard decorations she turned to me and said, 'mom, I told you I LOVE this store.'

I called Catherine B. earlier this week to see if their kids could play sometime. My thinking was that their three kids would keep our three busy. They weren't available until this afternoon. Things went pretty much according to my plan except for a span of about 10 minutes. During that time I was painfully aware that there were seven young children in our home and I was wondering what I could have been thinking. It's amazing how quickly an entire tray of chicken nuggets can quite down a crowd of kids. When Catherine came to pick up her kids, I gave her a cookbook as well.

The winter grass you worked so hard to plant is starting to come up in several areas.

The idea of cooking a new dinner for myself sounded worse than leftover zucchini cakes. They are not better the second time around.

I just checked the doors, they are locked. Hope you enjoyed shopping and site seeing today.
Love,
Mary





No comments: