As you know Saturday is soccer day. I was thinking I wouldn't take Caroline and Miles to their games because it would be no fun for Bridget, Natalie... and me. But then I wondered what else we would do all day and I decided to give it a try.
Caroline's game was at 8:30. It was a bit tricky getting there on time but we made it. The other team was a good match for Caroline's - they weren't very good either. Caroline was talking about wanting to score a goal on the way, when the substitute coach put her in at forward she told him she only played defense. I reminded her on the way home that very few goals are scored on defense. Bridget was a model spectator except for the time when she had a major poop blow-out everywhere. Natalie was happy on account of the entire sleeve of graham crackers she ate.
By the time we got home from game one, fed Bridget, and ourselves, it was nearly time to get ready for game two. The kids carved out just enough time to get into a big argument. As you know fighting=chores so I had them empty the dishwasher. Caroline had to do one more chore so I had her pick up the tinker-toys. She didn't like that because she hadn't taken them out. She said, "mom, how would you feel if you had to pick up a mess that you didn't make?" I wasn't sure whether to laugh, cry, or yell so I just told her to pick them up faster.
It was pretty hot by the time Miles game started. I created a make-shift shade tent using the double stroller and two rain umbrellas. It wasn't pretty but we didn't get sunburned. The girls were all great at cheering Miles on. I have serious doubts as to whether Miles has grasped the basic concept of soccer but he sure enjoys himself. The coach had to remind him what to do and where to stand constantly. Miles was super far away from the action so the coach yelled, "get up Miles." Miles yelled back (nicely), "you mean get up in the morning? I did that a long time ago." Later after telling Miles to stay on the left side a bunch of times his coach tried a new approach and told him, "Miles you own the left side; you are king of the left side - stay on the left side." Miles raised his arms in triumph and yelled, "I'm the king of the left side," while unbeknownst to him the ball and all the other boys moved to the far side of the field. Just then an errant ball from the neighboring field came near Miles. Since he had no idea it wasn't the right ball he started kicking it towards the goal. His coach started laughing and stopped him saying, "way to own the left side Miles."
After soccer all five of us took baths and showers. Bridget is getting ridiculously big for the infant bath. After dinner we popped popcorn and watched Space Chimps. If you ever have occasion to watch that movie, make sure you don't.
I know I asked you but I can't remember the name of the city you will be traveling to today. Hope you make it there safely. Love you,
Mary
No comments:
Post a Comment