Monday, August 3, 2009

Caroline's summer

Caroline has enjoyed being home, but she has also been counting down the days until second grade starts the entire summer.  Here's a quick, or not so quick, rundown and all the photos I finally got off the camera. 

One of her friends invited her to a dress-up party.  I sent her in this dress and she came home with her nails, hair, and make-up done.  I think her hair was fancier than mine was on my wedding day.  

Caroline lost three teeth in a few weeks time.  She has quite the jack-o-lantern smile these days.

She made the goal to read all of the Magic Tree House books this summer (there are 42).  She blasted through nearly all of them in a few weeks time and then waited for the last few to come from the reserve list from the library.  The list has been complete for a month now except for the last one.  We have been number 15 on the waiting list for two months now.  I may have to break down and buy her the book so she can reach her goal. 

She also made a goal to read the Book of Mormon before she is baptized.  Brian told her he'd read along with her so they could talk about it.  That spurred her competitive juices (I love it) and she spent several solid days reading it and got to Alma before Brian could get to 2 Nephi.

She also read two other large books which I won't mention the titles because my mom won't approve.

This picture has nothing to do with reading.


We've been to several wedding receptions this summer.  While we were sitting eating cake at one of them Caroline said, "why does everyone have their reception in a big boring room?  When I get married I'm going to have my reception somewhere fun... like a bowling alley.  I'm writing this here to hold her to it when the time comes (a long time from now).  Now that I think about it, I'd like to be invited to a reception that included a free game of bowling.  

This picture has nothing to do with wedding receptions.



The largest activity in Caroline's summer was swim team.  She and Miles did a recreational league for the first time.  And by recreational I mean fake.  There was no seeding, they just called for all the six-and-under boys, put them in a large pack and then pointed them to random lanes before each race.  Then they swam their 25 of whatever stroke and at the end someone eyeballed the finish order and wrote it on a white board.  Another volunteer took their name, put it on a ribbon and handed it to them.  A ribbon for everyone in every heat. 

Brian's not so sure but I really have no plans to push them into competitive swimming.  This league was a great way to fill the summer time, beat the heat (sort of), and get rid of lots of energy.  The first meet, however, did drive me crazy with how unorganized and not real it was.  But in the end it was super fun and was the perfect thing for young kids.  They're already planning to do it again next summer. 



Here's a video of part of a butterfly race.  

Maybe this summer update wasn't so quick after all. 

No comments: