Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hurry up and Clean

Last Saturday our ward held it's annual fall festival in the park across the street from our house. Not long before it started I remembered something about the party that I always forget... tons of people always ask me if they or their kids can use our bathroom. I always say yes and then am embarrassed about the toys on the the floor or dishes on the table and anxious about whether there is enough toilet paper. Well this year I smartly remembered and was so glad. The only problem was our house was way more messy than usual due to our crazy house detoxing week (the smell is almost gone). We still hadn't even fully unpacked or gotten on top of laundry.

So, I did what I always do when cleaning in a hurry... I hid the mess. I got our main level presentable and even cleaned the bathroom and put a fresh roll of toilet paper in. I was pretty happy with myself.

We got the kids dressed up and had a great time at the party. Brian ran a frisbee golf booth which most of the teenagers in the ward seemed to like. Caroline and Miles had a great time playing all the games, they especially liked the cake walk. They both won prizes in the costume contest (don't have picture sorry) and Miles flexed his 'hulk' muscles for the ward. After we got home he asked me why everyone was yelling when he did that. He didn't get that they were cheering for him.

After the party we got all the kids to bed and got some stuff done. I had tons to do for primary because I hadn't been in a few weeks. Then we watched SNL for the political sketches and stumbled up to bed pretty late. That's when I remembered about the mess...





I wasn't feeling so proud of myself anymore. I've learned this lesson a million times. I always get mad at myself for not cleaning up the right way and then for letting the house get messy in the first place but somehow it's not getting through. Maybe next time I'll at least try to keep the bed clear so we can go to bed.

Oh, and how many people commented on your lovely home as they came to use the bathroom, you ask?
zero


That's right no one came over this year... figures.

2 comments:

Kari said...

Oh man! That's Murphy's Law for you. I'm sure you weren't busy doing a gazillion other things! That is too funny about Miles.

Brooke Bowen said...

We have this thing when one of us walks in our room late at night to go to bed and exclaims, "Oh Crap!" Whenever the other one hears that we already know that our bed is loaded with un folded clothes from the wash that day. You'd think we would learn!