When he comes home from work it's like a rock star coming out on stage... screams and cheers from all the kids. Then they anxiously wait while Brian takes off his shoes and then the fun begins. Brian is constantly playing with them and entertaining them. The kids hang on his every word and laugh at most every thing he says. They ask him all their hardest questions because they're sure he'll know the answers. They always want him to put them to bed.
The kids like me when Brian is gone but once he is home I am relegated to my position as second favorite parent. I understand why the kids feel this way - of course the parent playing tag with them is more fun than the one making dinner. Overall I am very grateful that Brian is such an involved and great dad. Once and a while, however, I must admit I do feel a bit jealous. But what can you expect when you live in the same house as a rock star?
While I know my kids love me too... I just don't quite get the props that he does. Here are a few of the latest examples.
- I was putting Natalie down for her nap - she let me hold her like an infant (which is rare now) and sing her a song. After that we had what I thought was a tender moment while I told her how much I love her and what a great girl she is. When I finished she gazed up at me and said "where's dada?"
- Miles told me he wanted dad to tell him a bedtime story because mine are too boring and too short. He also asked me if dad could come home from work to take him to preschool so all the kids could meet him.
- We had an unexpectedly crazy afternoon and on the way home I surprised the kids by driving through McDonald's for happy meals (which is a rare treat for them). I thought they'd be excited and it might buy me some brownie points but when I asked them what they thought - Caroline said "dad would have let us go inside to play on the playground."
2 comments:
Sorry Mary- such is the life of a stay at home mom. James also has a similar prestige around here. Mom who? when dad comes home.
Post a Comment