Saturday, May 7, 2011

Views of an empty pool

As you know kids have a different perspective than adults. There are all kinds of things that kids think are fun but they have no idea the work/money that goes behind it. That is the exact reason why I have fond memories of camping as a child but as a parent have never once attempted it (you are way better than me mom and dad).

We recently had to drain the pool for maintenance. Add that job to the list of things that kids view differently than adults.

Brian and I:
submersed and re-submersed the pump (it was heavy) until we figured it out
snaked the hose from the back yard to the main drain in the front
stopped everything in a panic when the main drain clogged
cleaned up the mess when all the drains in the house backed up
tried to fix it ourselves (fail)
called plumbers and begged them to come (it was the weekend)
showered at the clubhouse before church
paid the plumber (how much for 20 min?)
restarted the pump
cleaned and fixed pool plaster and filter (took weeks)
bought new filter parts (rip off)
filled pool - happy to be finally finished

The kids:
laughed while mom and dad ran around like crazy
thought water going up instead of down was quite novel
didn't have to take a bath before church (thrilling)
got to play in an empty pool everyday for weeks (Mario kart pool)
have a fun pool to swim in



Too bad you don't know how good you have it as a kid until you aren't one anymore. Too bad Brian and I didn't play Mario kart pool ourselves. Now that I look at the video, it does look pretty fun. During our next 'event,' (or even everyday living) I'll try and find a bit more kid perspective to make the whole thing much more enjoyable. Maybe I can talk the plumber into that as well... then when he decides to charge tons of money it would be something like $10.

1 comment:

Laura said...

You're absolved from camping- Your children's stories are filled with wonders and adventure