The kids had another great summer of swim team. Even on the days when I didn't feel like going, they would drag me there because they didn't want to miss it. I still had all my same complaints about how unorganized the whole 'recreation league' is but at least this year I knew what to expect. To be fair, it is the perfect thing for young kids because there is absolutely no pressure.
One of my children insisted on wearing a swim cap. The other wanted nothing to do with them.
I don't think Miles noticed that he was the only boy that wore a cap. When I asked him if he was sure, he said the boy swimmers on TV wear them. He had me there.
When the horn went off he took the time to pose and then decided to get going. At least this year he used his real name when he got to the finish. He also remembered to put his goggles on and swam the right stroke for each race. Huge improvement from last year.
Here a bit of one of Miles' races. I know swimming is boring to watch for most people but this is for my dad who wanted to see them swim. As you can see, Miles is still not one for finishing strong - but again, a huge improvement from last year. (Miles is, of course, the one in the cap.)
Lots of the parents at the meets are quite vocal. Many are very interested in their children's technique, racing ability, and them getting nothing but first place. I don't want to be a pushy parent in any sport but I am especially careful with swimming. I probably ere on the side of caution but I say next to nothing to them in the way of tips, expectations, or giving them pressure. The ONLY thing I said to the kids about swimming the entire summer was to never look to the side in a race. Guess I could have been pushy after all because they don't listen to me anyway...
Caroline did decide that breaststroke is her favorite stoke. That's my girl.
All in all a fun summer of swimming. It sure does make it go by fast. Props go to Natalie for sitting patiently through a whole summer of practices and especially the brutally hot swim meets. She was a trooper.
1 comment:
So great to see your kids swimming. I wish I had more opportunities here for that with my kids. Oh, well. Can't wait to hear about the new baby!
Post a Comment