Thursday, February 19, 2009

How to play the organ


I was asked to accompany the hymns on the organ for a class in the High Council room (why is there an organ in there?) last Sunday. I had never played the organ before in my life. I found out that it wasn't too different than the piano - just a few changes. Here are my organ playing tips in case you ever have to play it yourself. Those of you who know how to play the organ won't need my help.
  1. There is no sustain pedal so you have to hold the notes down longer.
  2. When everyone in the room stands to recite a theme... be really careful not to lose your balance and play a ton of keys with your backside. Everyone will stop and look back at you.
  3. In your haste to get away from the keys, don't bend over too fast or a key button may pop off your blazer. Then you'll have to spend the rest of the meeting with your arms folded extra high.
The first tip is tried and true. The second two are purely hypothetical. Nothing like that would ever happen to me.... I wish.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

ha, great entry. I laughed out loud.

A and M said...

So impressed you played the organ! And I am definitely just taking those two last pointers as hypothetical situations.