Thursday, September 15, 2011

Lockers

Confession:  I have a thing for lockers.  When I was little I loved helping my mom put the quarter in the locker when we went swimming.  When I first started a little development swim team I noticed the girls on the real swim team had their own lockers.  Getting to rent my own locker was a motivating force early in my swimming life.  I clearly remember my ten-year-old self going to the rec center clerk with a check from my mom to rent my very own locker. (Now that I type that it sounds nerdy but it was super exciting.)  I lived out of lockers from then until I got married.  I didn't realize how much I loved/missed them until lately.

When we moved to Arizona our house had an alcove right by the front door.  A few months after we moved in I looked at it and said, "that would be a great spot for lockers."  It took five years of convincing Brian (he thought lockers in the front room was uncivilized... he still does) and looking for just the right sized bank but I finally found some.  Fixing and repainting them was the funnest project I have done in a long time.


Here they are. They fit perfectly.  The best part about them is that there are no more shoes, backpacks, and jackets all over my house.  The kids love having their own space on the main level.  Miles even brought down a few nicknacks to decorate his.  Another great feature is how much stuff they hold; we keep everything in there.  Before I got them I thought slamming doors might be a problem but I unexpectedly love it.  Every time I hear that sound I have a bit of nostalgia for my childhood - growing up in a locker room.


No comments: