Friday, November 26, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

We went through several iterations of thanksgiving plans this year. I think it must of been at least six different sets of plans with several variations on each. In the end, it ended up being just our little family here for thanksgiving dinner. I wondered if cooking for just us would be worth the trouble; Brian thought we should go out to eat. It wasn't a bad plan but then I thought of the things that I would make anyway so that we could have leftovers and it just turned into me cooking.

It was my first time doing the whole meal all by myself. I was excited to see if I could pull it off. To keep things interesting I decided to try a new (to me) turkey cooking method. My past turkeys have turned out tasting good but they were never very pretty. This year I wanted mine to look just like the one on Christmas Vacation - only edible. Everything was going well so I was able to play with the family at the park while everything was cooking. I ran home to check on everything and was surprised to find the turkey was done nearly an hour earlier than I had calculated. It didn't look great... but you can't win them all. I set the turkey aside to 'rest' and scrambled to get everything else on the table. I had asked Brian to carve the turkey but I decided to have him stay at the park and just go and get everyone when dinner was served.

As I got the last side dish on the table I thought to myself how thanksgiving dinner really isn't too hard. You might say I was patting myself on the back. The only thing left to do was carve the turkey.

It was mostly raw.

It was a great thanksgiving. We got to play at the park for a lot longer than we planned. We had hot turkey and lukewarm side dishes. We had good company. We are very blessed and have much to be thankful for.


Happy Thanksgiving

No comments: