Saturday, December 19, 2009

Analyze This (a hair story)

I know I might be partially biased because he's my son... but I think Miles has great hair. It's curly like mine and thick like Brian's. It also has a life of it's own.
I like it when it looks a bit crazy but Miles is starting to have some hair opinions. He wants to tame the untamable beast. Before school lately he's been putting water on it (and the entire counter) to make it go down. He's very happy with his work; I don't have the heart to tell him it's sticking up again by the time we get to school. It hasn't been a problem yet, he must not ever look in a mirror at school.

His all-time favorite hair time is right after the bath. He very carefully combs his wet hair and gazes at it in the mirror. The other night during this ritual he sighed and said,

"I love my hair when it's flat."

"why, Miles?" I asked.

(with another long adoring sigh) "Because it looks so expensive."

I told him to make an 'expensive' face.


I puzzled over his comment for a while but I think to him, the definition of 'expensive' may be something he wants but can't have. He must have heard the phrase 'sorry, it's too expensive' somewhere before...

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I love the 'expensive face'