Monday, June 13, 2011

Virginia Pilgrimage

It had been a few years since we visited Grandma and Grandpa McLeskey in Virginia so we planned a visit for the beginning of the summer.  Near the end of school Miles was learning about American history and came home from school to tell me all about the monuments.  I asked him if he told his teacher that he had been to them.  He gave me a blank look and said, "I have?"  Hopefully he is old enough now to not forget this trip.  Natalie remembers everything so I don't worry about her.  We will have to visit again for Bridget - and because it is so much fun.

Frank and Karma worked tirelessly to make our trip such a good time.  When they weren't cooking and cleaning they were entertaining kids.

We left Bridget at home on our first site-seeing day.  Sorry Bridget but it was much easier for us and I think you had more fun there then sitting in a stroller all day.


Our second and last day in the city Natalie stayed home as well.  We had a great time with our two older kids doing 'big kid stuff.'  It gave us a small glimpse of the future.  The only bad part was our first visit to the Library of Congress (never had time before).  It was cool and beautiful but Caroline had build up an expectation in her mind (a la National Treasure) of sitting in the large reading room and perusing any book she wanted.  When we found out that you had to be 17 and get a special pass to get anywhere but mostly the lobbies, her face crumbled in disappointment.  I felt terrible for her and mad at myself for not looking into that ahead of time.

Mount Vernon was a trip highlight.  It has changed a ton since the first time I had been there.  The house, outbuildings, and grounds are fascinating as ever but they have added a huge museum area that was great.  We all loved the kid area.  Natalie dressed up like Martha Washington and moved the furniture around in the model house for a long time.



Miles thought this Jacob's ladder toy was 'almost as fun as the wii.'  Note to the Mount Vernon gift shop:  if you sold them in your store I would have bought one.


Of course you have to have the drum pic.  The pestering to get our own set was nearly merciless.  I am not incriminating my son - it was Brian.


Thanks again Karma and Frank.  We had a great time.


No comments: