1. A story about progress
Every year our tithing settlement appointment is especially memorable. As soon as we get in there, Miles gets extra silly/naughty. This has been going on since the first time he went - when he was 9 months old. Every year we give him a talk about being good and respectful, we also bribe him heavily. Every year our pleas are legendarily ignored. This year Brian tried a new approach. He told Miles that we were going to tithing settlement and said, "I'm not going ask you to be good this year, I just want you to be normal. Do you think you can act normal?" The new approach was largely successful. Besides calling the bishop the 'lord of the candy' he was 'normal'. For the first year ever, we didn't have to apologize profusely as we left. Progress indeed.
2. A story about puppies
I went somewhere awhile ago without any kids (that is not the subject of this story although it is quite noteworthy). I was gone for awhile before I realized that I may not have needed to bring my diaper bag. Then I realized that I did not own a purse and perhaps it was time I grow up and got one. I watched the ads for the next few weeks until several department stores were having sales. I went to a few stores and didn't find one I liked. At the last store I immediately found the perfect one and was quite excited about it. I decided to look around at the others before I got it just in case. I looked all around and nothing stood out so I went back for the 'perfect purse.' I rounded the corner just in time to see an eighty-year-old woman (at least) with blue hair and puppies on her sweatsuit pick up the same one I was going to get. I obviously need shopping/style help. I'll just stick with my hospital issued diaper bag until I can get some shopping help. I just hope that happens before Bridget is in kindergarden. If not I'll just buy a puppy sweatsuit to go with my purse.
3. A story about bags
Early last year Fender told their employees that because of the economy there would be no raises in 2010 but there may be a bonus at the end of year if they hit their financial targets. Just before christmas the head of R&D brought Brian an envelope, handed it to him, and thanked him for his great work this year. As he opened it, he started planning what fun things we might spend it on. I know it is faux pas to talk about money but I can't help telling you how much the check was for.
Twenty-five dollars. "If that isn't the biggest bag over the head, punch in the face I've ever got..." We did do something fun with it. The dinner was nice but the bonus didn't quite cover all of it - or the tax, tip, and baby-sitter. Maybe next year.
2 comments:
Happy Birthday to Brian!
We miss you guys and your kids! Thanks for the stories!! I always laugh a lot when you post simple silly stories. Miles-hilarious. I still use the hospital diaper bag I got with Christian and I always wanted a cute more pursy looking one. I don't really know what to say about the check-sorry.
I guess its better than a year membership to the jelly of the month club! (national lampoons christmas vacation)
Post a Comment